I discovered this awesome survey about “Boomer Gamers,” which you can read HERE.
It’s on the long side, but it’s worth reading. The “older gamer” market is booming right now, and they are changing the way games are made and sold. Some of the more interesting facts were:
- Women over forty are repeatedly outpacing all other groups as the fastest growing gamer population.
- 35% of parents play video games
- Baby Boomers are spending anywhere from 10-40 hours a week playing games.
- The PC is their platform-of-choice.
- When asked to list their ten favorite games, adventure games were included each and every time (the top five were Myst, Syberia, Dreamfall, Broken Sword, and Gabriel Knight).
I’m finding this absolutely fascinating. When I first started designing freeware games in 2001, I felt very foolish. I was 25 years old, and I was hanging out in game forums where the average age was 16-20. It’s nice to see that changing. I like this new trend very much indeed.